A settlement in Hitalon River is one of the traces that people established their community during the Spanish time and the place was called Cadiz Viejo. Historical evidences showed that the Cadiz was name before a place in the Spain which also called Cadiz located in the northernly portion of a seaport which is the same as with the Cadiz City.
The Cadiz City became an independent municipality from Saravia (now E.B. Magalona in Negros Occidental) on 1878. Antonio Cabahug whom married to Capitana Francisca Cito is the first appointed “gobernadorcillo”. During the Spanish-American War the sons and daughters of Capitana headed by Francisco Abelarde took arms against Spanish abuses, they fight for the freedom not only for their rights but also for the freedom of their country. From then during the short live cantonal state Jose Lopez Vito was elected as the president of Federal Republica de Negros.During the American era the Cadiz was on its way to prosperity and economic growth with operation of two big lumber companies in the area.The war years brought a stop to all these economic activities and much suffering to the people of Cadiz. The resistance movement put up the civil government in the mountains to deal with civilian affairs.
In the first post-war election of 1952, Joaquin Ledesma was elected mayor.On July, 1967, Cadiz was inaugurated as a city by virtue of Republic Act No. 4894 which was passed by Congress on June 17, 1967. The Act was authored by the late Congressman Armando Gustilo. Cadiz City is bounded in the north by the Visayan Sea, in the south by the cities of Silay and Victorias, in the east by the city of Sagay and in the west by the municipality of Manapla.