Municipality of Binalbagan
The town acquired its name Binalbagan with the story that happened to the place. According to historians there was a big snake that was stranded in the mouth of the river and blockaded the water transportation during that time. People called the place “binabalagan” a Hiligaynon tem meaning “block” and later it became Binalbagan which it is called to the municipality right now.Around 18th and 19th century the town was inhabited by the Negritos a native people that living in the town with a black skin color, during this time the place was covered t with a thick forest and swamps that usually used for farming and cultivation as source of living. Inhabitants of the town increased through the years and immigrants acquired vast tracts of land through bartering pieces of clothes with the natives.
The Spaniards arrived in the town between 1850 to 1877. During this period, sugarcane was grown in small areas and sugar called “muscovado” was crudely milled. When Negrenses revolted against Spain, no fighting occurred in the town as there was little Spanish influence and improvement.Binalbagan was 62 kilometers away to the Province capital, Bacolod City and it has an estimated land area of 18, 540 hectare which large portions of this are agricultural. Its estimated population as of May 2000 was 58, 280. The Feast of San Isidro Labrador was celebrated every year and the Lumbayag Dance Festival was the main tourist attraction of this festivities.