Municipality of Calatrava
Calatrava fought for its identity and regained its township status on October 4, 1924. This was achieved through the political representation of Cebuanos led by Alipio Villarante. When the town held its first elections in 1932, Don Antonio Menchaca was elected as the first municipal president.The name Calatrava was named after the city of La Mancha in Central Spain.
The city was an ancient fortress during middle ages and was given the Military Orders of Spain. It is also famous for the so-called Cruz de Calatrava which considered as the one of the highest decorations given by the king of Spain. In 1906, Calatrava became a barrio when the administerial form of government was transferred to Nabingkalan (now San Carlos). Through the political representation of Cebuanos headed by Alipio Villarante who fought for the identity of Calatrava and in October 14, 1924 they regained their township and Don Antonio Menchaca was the first president ever elected in 1932.
The municipality of Calatrava is bounded in the north by the municipality of Toboso and the city of Sagay, in the south by the city of Sagay, in the east by the Tañon Strait and in the west by the city of San Carlos and the municipality of Don Salvador Benedicto.