Municipality of Hinigaran
Mundos and Ambaks was the first inhabitants of this place, they were the semi-primitive people who lives in side of the rivers. When traders and settlers from Panay started to migrate in the place, the natives were driven to the mountains, they were replace by the new settlers called “Tagahigad” and when the Spanish conqueror arrived to the town, the place was called “Ginigaran” derived from the word “higad” which mean “side” but it was later spelled and pronounce as Hinigaran.
In 1806, the first appointed president was Capitan Basilio Mongcal when the town was founded in 1765. The families like Mongcal, Lagtapon, Cosio, Sario, David, Orin, Pido, Pabalinas, Lontayao, Javier, Vargas, Lucasan, and Grijaldo were considered as the first settlers of the town and some of them are fugitives from Panay.The Spaniards established the seat of the “pueblo” in Jacinto and Zamora Streets, and the town was governed by “Capitanes Municipales”, Tenientes Absolato” and Cabeza de Barangays”. When revolt against the Spanish Government broke out, Capitan Bibiano Galvosa and his followers fought bravely against the Spaniards. He was the last “Capitan Municipal” when the Americans arrived.