Municipality of Ilog
In May 16, 1584 Ilog was founded by Augustinins Fathers Geronimo Marin and Francisco Bustos. Ilog was the first capital of Negros Occidental and Siquijor Provinces in the 1800s. During the Spanish time, Ilog was the biggest settlements and its inhabitants came from Panay Island. The name Ilog derived from a tagalong word “Ilog” which mean river. This was given by a tagalog guide of the Spaniards because the place was entirely surrounded by the longest in the island of Negros, the Ilog River. After Ilog was recorded as the first capital of Negros Occidental, it was later transferred to Himamaylan, Binalbagan and finally to Bacolod.
The coastal town of Ilog often raided by Moro pirates long before the Spanish regime. Take their properties, burned their houses and kidnapped inhabitants and brought to Moroland and sold as slaves.In one of those raids, the pirates were met by a glaring light on top of the old Catholic church. Suddenly, a small image of the Santo Niño appeared with rays of light coming from his body which caused fear and bewilderment among the pirates and prevented their evil scheme against the residents. Since then, the Ilognons adopted the Santo Niño as their patron saint.