Municipality of Murcia
Father Miguel Alvarez, a catholic priest and belong to the Order of Augustinian Recoletos founded Murica in 1860. The name Murcia was named after a town that was located in Spain, just like with the other places in Negros, the Negritos was also the first inhabitants of the place and slowly gone away and live in to the mountains when migrants from the other places came in the town. Several “Capitanes” succeeded one after the other in serving as Chief Executive of the town during the Spanish regime.
During the Spanish era, Fr. Alvarez established a parochial school in Murcia. The school for boys was headed by Maestro Blas Gatuslao while the school for girls was taught Spanish language and other subjects.When the Japanese forces arrived to the island of Negros and settled in Bacolod City, the town was later occupied also by the Japanese Military and the municipal hall of the town was converted into a garrison. During the Japanese occupation, the civil government of Murcia was established in the mountainous portion of the town under the leadership of Governor Alfredo Montelibano, Sr. with his Free Negros movement.
With the will to be freed from invaders guerillas often attacked the garrison of Murcia and later on, in April 21, 1945 they successfully driven out the Japanese and regain the governance.The municipality is now well known of its tourists destinations like the Mambukal Mountain Resort, Calibago River and their famous festival called Mudpack which celebrated every 20th of the year.
The municipality of Murcia is a 1st class municipality in Negros Occidental, it consist of 23 barangays. According to the 2000 Census of NSO the town has a total population of 59, 358 people in 11, 644 households.